One of my Twitter followers requested a post about editing. I thought I’d write one in the form of a
checklist so that you can print it out and tape it to the wall next to your desk or writing space.
These are some things I look for whenever I’m editing. If you’d like a more in-depth series on any of these points, please let me know. Hope it helps!
- Wrong words e.g. there/their/they’re and to/too/two
- Improper capitalization
- Adverbs (just cut them already!)
- Verb tense shifts
- Lack of parallel structure
- Sentences that start with “there are” (you can make them stronger, I promise)
- Unnecessary commas and comma splices
- Run-on sentences
- Quotation marks for emphasis (NO)
- Spelling errors – use a spell checker, but also confirm the errors with your human brain