|Photo Credit: Will Clayton on Flickr|
This year is going to be a big one for me. I can feel it.
In a few short months, I’ll be 23 years old. It’s hard for me to believe it. While 23 isn’t a milestone birthday, I still think it’s an important one. I want to make it count.
This year, I decided to make a list of 23 things I want to do before turning 23. Some of the items on the list are serious, some are silly, and some won’t make any sense to anyone but me. All that matters is that I’m striving to achieve these goals before June 17, 2015. By posting them online, I trust you all to hold me accountable. I’m also hoping some of you can help me cross a few things off. If you think you can help with any of these, please let me know in the comments section!
Now, without further ado, here’s my list of 23 Before 23:
- Stop drinking soda. I know it’s bad for me, and I don’t even want to think about how much extra sugar I’m putting in my body. As much as I love Coca-Cola, I want to go cold turkey.
- Read 23 books. I don’t have much free time anymore, but I really want to do this. It’s not far off from my 2014 Reading Challenge Goal, and that took a whole year, but I know I can do it.
- Pay off my cat’s veterinary bills. Right after I moved to Florida, my cat had to have part of her tail amputated. That was expensive. Once it started healing, she cut a different part of her tail, and we had to go to the emergency clinic. That wasn’t cheap, either. I want to do everything I can to keep my good credit, so I’d love to pay her bills off sometime before my birthday.
- Make a dent in my student loans. At last calculation, it should take me about seven years to pay them off at my current income bracket. Ha. I’d like to shave a little time off that estimate, if possible.
- Host a dinner party. Now that I have my own place and can cook a few things, I think it’s time to have people over for a meal. Plus, it sounds like a super grown-up event.
- Get published. Whether it’s a short story or a novel, I want to get something else of mine published before turning 23.
- Join a club. I’ve lived here for a few months, but I still don’t know many people. I want to look for a book or writing club to join so I can participate in the community… and do things besides watch Netflix when I get home from work.
- Comment on at least one blog post per day. In 2014, I realized the importance of engagement in building community. I want to contribute more this year, so I’m going to start leaving my thoughts on posts I enjoy.
- Trade guest posts with three bloggers. If you’re reading this post and you think you might be interested, let me know in the comments. I’d love to do a swap!
- Mentor someone. I’m not sure in what capacity, but I’d love the opportunity to encourage someone else.
- Get a new laptop. Admittedly, this one should come after numbers three and four.
- Save $1000 dollars. I know I need to have some money set aside in case of emergency, and I need to get serious about making that happen.
- Go ziplining. I’ve been a few times before, and I adore it. Also, there might be a place close to where I live.
- Try out for a play. It’s been too long.
- Consistently post three times a week. I’ve been sporadic lately, and I want to get back to posting regularly.
- Say "yes" to invitations. Like most writers, I can be a hermit sometimes. When I get invited to do things, I'm going to make it a point to say, "yes."
- Volunteer. Whether it's at the local retirement home or animal shelter, I want to give back.
- Contact one writer, blogger, or person I admire per week. I'm afraid of reaching out to people, and I have no idea why. Some people mean a lot to me. I need to let them know how much their work inspires me. It might make their day.
- Compile a blog directory. Ava Jae's blog directory is absolutely gorgeous and an excellent idea.
- Support my favorite authors and beloved writing tweeps. Pretty self-explanatory.
- Stop biting my nails. It's a terrible habit.
- Make my bed every day. I'm not sure why, but I feel better when I look into my room and see that my bed in made. Explain that one, psychology.
- Visit New York again. Because that city is totally calling my name.
Instead of New Year's Resolutions, @brianawrites has a list of 23 things to do before turning 23. (Click to tweet)
Would you ever make a list of birthday resolutions? See @brianawrites' list here. (Click to tweet)